Monday, April 25, 2011

Take it down already!

Here we are in late April and as I leave for my commute, I’m still seeing campaign signs in yards.  Really people, I can’t stand the signs before the election but more than a month after it’s time to take it down.  I think it’s about time we find a way to end all of this yard sign insanity.
I think we should tax the politicians for yard signs.  Politicians seem to want to tax us on all of our bad habits such as smoking and drinking so why is it not fair that we tax them back on one of their bad habits.   If you think about it the political yard sign is just as nasty of a habit as smoking, it pollutes the environment and annoys people who don’t do it.  The other nasty habit of politicians would be the BS tax but that would put them all out of business. Hmmm not a bad idea, I’ll have to think about that one also.
Now maybe to avoid the sign tax politicians could share their signs with charities.  We could still tax them and force them to share their signs with other annoying signs around the neighborhood like those found on utility poles.  We Buy Ugly Houses signs combined with Vote for Obama seems like an appropriate match.  If Obama was so proud of his cash for clunkers program then he should have no problem putting his logo on junk cars that he could later clean up.
In my neighborhood Ron Paul signs seem to hit every utility pole I passed.  I’m not sure I would know if Ron Paul was running if it wasn’t for this kind of ad blitz.  I don’t agree with Ron Paul supporters tacking his sign upon every utility pole but it does seem better then where I’ve seen other campaign signs.  If you’re going to run for office then posting your campaign sign on an abandon house especially if you are the incumbent, isn’t the best idea.  It just screams wow, look how I’ve screwed up your neighborhood.
Although I do fly my “Don’t tread on me” flag I refuse to put any campaign sign in my yard or car.  Let’s be honest there are a lot of nut jobs out there and I don’t want any of them around my car or house. The same people who put these ridiculous yard signs up are the same ones who complain about my Christmas decorations being up too long.  Have they never heard of Christmas in July?  I had to laugh at the Obama supporters who got upset about their yard sign being stolen; I think the thieves were only trying to spread the sign wealth.  
Can we also quit having groups of people claiming a candidate?  I think this practice has just gotten plain silly and has me wanting to come up with some outrageous signs of my own for the next election cycle but I think these may already be hard to top.



The other consequence of the political sign battle is those politicians whose names just bring a chuckle when you see their campaign sign.  








And the most expensive in the US

No comments:

Post a Comment